Where You Teach Makes A Difference : Peter and Cornelius in Acts 10

edited September 14 in General Discussion
What do we think about when we think about where we teach? Cornelius had a large home where relatives and friends could meet to hear Peter teach them about Jesus. Our physical location is usually our first consideration when we think about where we teach our Bible lesson. However, our physical location large or small is not the most important place for us to think about. 

Cornelius had the truth exactly right when he told Peter: "Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us” (Acts 10:33). Yes. We are teaching in the presence of God, and when our students come into our class, they are coming into the presence of the Lord. Your classroom is a sacred place, the temple of the Lord Jesus, because Jesus is there with your class and Jesus indwells the heart of every believer.

How might your class become different if you remind yourself, pray, and prepare your lesson with the understanding: "Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us”? What if your students came to class and told you: "Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us”? What if we all prayed, studied, and taught everything the Lord has commanded us to teach?

For the love of God's Word,
L.G.

Comments

• Thank you for stirring me up to diligently pray, study and teach everything The LORD has commanded. My desire is to please GOD. Honestly, busy with life issues and so many other things have drawn me away from what is needful and that is to sit at HIS Feet and be blessed. Continue in the Good Work GOD is doing through you. Teachers are helped and students reap the benefits.

• edited August 25
    Thank you for your very kind comments! 

The Scripture lessons in the Sunday school series provide challenges for me because I can be tempted to skip over difficult Bible passages and just teach my favorite topics or verses repeatedly. For example, study of the Old Testament challenges me much more than the New Testament, probably because I am more familiar with the New Testament. Yet, I learn so much every time I study the Old Testament!

If it were not for this Sunday school series, I probably would study and teach the Old Testament much less than I do now. But the Apostle Paul wrote: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:15-16), and that certainly includes the Old Testament (the Scriptures in his day as the New Testament was being written).

Within the last few months, I am more consciously asking myself, "What in this lesson applies to me as a teacher?" I know the Bible speaks to me as a teacher as well as to those I teach. I hope to be able to share with others what I am learning as a teacher from the Bible lessons.

I am thankful when someone else finds the Bible speaking to them as a teacher as it has spoken to me. I especially thank you for sharing specifically how these verses from Acts have spoken to you!

May God continue to bless your study and teaching and your students through you!

For the love of God's Word,
    L.G.