What Teachers Sometimes Forget — A Lesson from Genesis 8

Sometimes we are disappointed in ourselves, and at other times with some of our students. Sometimes we look back over the past week and we remember that we have done or said things that we believe make us unworthy to teach the Bible on Sunday or mid-week. At other times, we learn of something our students have said and done that make us wonder how effective our teaching really is, and we wonder if we should quit.

Our lesson on Noah reminds us of an important truth: “for the intent of man’s heart is evil from his youth” or “every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood” (see Genesis 8:21). 

We are not perfect, and we do not have the ability within ourselves by ourselves to overcome our evil inclinations. HOWEVER, we do know the solution to this problem that still plagues us from time-to-time, and we will be teaching the solution on September 24, if you do not teach it sooner, from Ezekiel 36:26-27 — “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.” Jesus began doing this in believers' lives on the Day of Pentecost. Jesus is the One who gives us the daily solutions we need as Christians who sincerely want to serve Him.

As Christian teachers, we have a new heart and a new spirit and the Holy Spirit within us that God has given us, and so do many of our students. Furthermore, Jesus Christ is in the process of making us and our students more like himself in thought, word, and deed. We call this the process of sanctification. Yes, we and our students will fail sometimes and disappoint ourselves and others, but we pray for our students and they pray for us as teachers (hopefully). Therefore, we can say of ourselves (and by extension of our students) what someone once said: “I am not all I want to be; but thank God, I am not what I used to be.”

If we follow an evil inclination and commit a sin, we can immediately repent and ask Jesus for help, and His Spirit within us will help us; furthermore, we can pray for our students, and as followers of Jesus Christ the Holy Spirit within them will help them too. By the grace of God, as Christians, following an evil inclination is now the exception to the rule in our lives; for we now live by the rule of love, love for God and others, that Jesus has written on our hearts.

May God continue to bless your teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

For the love of God's Word,
L.G.

Comments

• edited September 3
    Hi, I am immensely appreciative for the assistance I receive every Saturday in my preparation for the Sunday.class.Wish it was in Spanish, but it's OK I manage. As a teacher, I am so thankful my church has allowed me to teach. I ask God to use me, to allow me to serve him in those areas he prepared me and here I am today a Sunday school teacher, how thankful I am. God bless.
  • Thank you very much for your kind words! I do not know if "Google Translate" works very well to translate these lessons or not, but I am hopeful it does.

Also, thank you for reminding us to be thankful to the Lord and to our churches for allowing us and calling us to teach. What a blessing and honor to be given such an awesome trust by the Lord and our churches.

It is also wonderful for us to learn how God has answered your prayers. Surely all Christians should pray, "God use me," but sometimes we are afraid to pray such an open ended prayer. But you have also reminded us that God will indeed prepare us to serve Him and continue to prepare us as He leads us and we follow Him day by day!.

May God continue to bless your teaching and service to Him!

L.G.