Our Real Power as Bible Teachers — Ezekiel 36

As we study Ezekiel, we discover the real power we have as Bible teachers; the power that helps us effectively reach our students, inspire their study of the Scriptures, and help them live as true disciples of Jesus Christ. The power I am speaking of consists of three parts or sources, and each part or source is tremendously important.

Of course, the most important source of our true power is this: The Spirit of God in us to move us to follow His decrees and be careful to keep His laws (see Ezekiel 36:27). Without the Spirit of God within us we cannot rightly interpret and apply the Bible’s teachings. Furthermore, the Spirit of God will accompany the truths of the Bible we teach and have a transforming effect on our students; whereas, the Holy Spirit will not accompany or endorse our errors or misinterpretations in the minds of our students. Our students will also know whether or not we are hypocrites (play-actors) with regard to what we are teaching from the Bible. The Holy Spirit within us helps us live consistent with what we are teaching. We will not be perfect, but our students will see us trying to live according to what we are teaching. And when we make a mistake, admit it, and ask them to forgive us, they will forgive us and learn from our example.

The second part or source of our true power is this: God has put a new heart within us and has removed our heart of stone (Ezekiel 36:26). Our students will recognize the fact that we love God, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and the Bible we teach. Almost as importantly, they will recognize that we love them and want them to love God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Bible even more that we do, if possible. A part of our real power as Bible teachers is our love for our students, a love that they will experience as we teach.

The third part or source of our true power as teachers is this: God has put a new spirit within us (Ezekiel 36:26). Jesus Christ has renewed our minds, has given us an ability to interpret the Bible we did not have before He began His work with us, has inspired us by His teaching and example, and has given us an empowering and overpowering motivation to bless others with what the Bible has been teaching us as we have prayed and studied over the years and each week as teachers.

May God continue to bless your teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

For the love of God's Word,
L.G.

Comments

• that is good but I like the verse and explanation of the verse that give me a debt to the lessons. Please don't take that away.
  • Hello Joyce,

Thanks for your comment.

To clarify, The International Bible Lessons Commentary website contains the verse-by-verse commentary for teachers and other class materials.

The International Bible Lessons Forum (this website) is for teachers to discuss the Bible Lesson among themselves (and it is of course open to all Bible students). My posts here force me to ask myself the question: "What does this week's Bible Lesson say to me as a teacher?" The Commentary website is especially for teaching a class. And I hope many teachers (and Bible students) will contribute their ideas as you have done.

I plan, God-willing, to keep both of these websites up-to-date. Please use the link above to reach the commentary.

I am thankful you find these study materials helpful.
    L.G.