Sabbath Keeping Question with My Response

IN YOUR BIBLE LESSON FROM EXODUS 31:13, WHICH WAS IN OUR PAPER TODAY, YOU BROUGHT UP SOMETHING THAT REALLY BOTHERS ME. AT WHAT POINT DID THE LORD SAY, YOU DON'T NEED TO OBSERVE THE SABBATH ANY LONGER, IT IS FINE IF YOU JUST WORSHIP ON SUNDAY ????????? MOST MAJOR CHURCH GROUPS HAVE SERVICES ON SUNDAY AND APART FROM GOING TO CHURCH, ITS BUSINESS AS USUAL. HOW & WHY DID THIS COME TO BE ???

Thank you for reading the Bible Lesson in The Oklahoman newspaper and writing me about it. The lack of Sabbath observance today bothers me too.

First, Jesus never said we do not need to observe the Sabbath any longer. Jesus knows that our minds, bodies, and spirits need the rest and refreshment that can come from observing the Sabbath. Since Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath, I think we need to pray and seek His will for what we should (or should not) do when we keep the Sabbath.

Second, the Sabbath includes the entire day (24 hours: Saturday for some; Sunday for others). I do not believe Sunday morning worship is a substitute for a Sabbath day of rest and refreshment. Jesus demonstrated and taught that we could do works of mercy and love on the Sabbath; however, I do not believe He would want us to use works of mercy and love as an excuse not to observe one day of rest and refreshment each week.

I do not know how or why many church groups no longer teach the real value for our entire well-being of keeping the Sabbath. Perhaps many of these churches objected to the teaching that Sabbath keeping was a law that we need to keep in order to be saved; instead, they should have shown that Sabbath keeping was designed by God and He gave it as a gift for us to enjoy and to meet our real needs as He made us in His image. Our Creator taught by example when He rested on the seventh day.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

For the love of God’s Word,
L.G.