The Nature and Purpose of the Bible

Over the years, I have tried to expand and improve a comprehensive statement on the nature and purpose of the Bible. I would like your help to correct and improve it.

“The nature and purpose of the Bible is to teach absolute truth; then, the Holy Spirit uses the objective truth of the Bible to graciously draw believers into a saving subjective, loving and serving, praising and worshiping, everlasting relationship with God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.” — L.G. Parkhurst, Jr.

The Bible teaches this about itself, which I am not trying to improve: “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Please share your thoughts and improvements to help me express and write a better definition.

You might ask your class to share their ideas in a brainstorming session on the nature and purpose of the Bible so together you can create a class definition, which we would like for you to share on the IBL Forum.

May God continue to bless your Bible study and teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

CLICK HERE To Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

For the love of God's Word,
L.G.