Thoughts and Questions on Acts 10:35

(Acts 10:35) but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is
right is acceptable to him.

Have you ever considered the possibility that a typographical error may contain Biblical truth? Perhaps God sometimes uses our errors to teach us something about who God is. As part of my commentary on the verse above, I wrote this below (and paraphrased a verse from the Bible). Can you spot the typographical error? Will you be the first to post that you found it? What truths might that error teach us about God?

"But Cornelius knew he needed more and he wanted more from God, so he prayed to God to meet his needs; therefore, God sent Peter to him to teach him the good news of saving faith in Jesus Christ. God does not show favoritism and those who seek him will find them when they seek him with all their heart as Cornelius did. In seeking God, he received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior as well as the Holy Spirit, who came to indwell him and each member of his household that believed."

I'll post my thoughts on the error later.

May God bless your Bible study and teaching in the week ahead!

Comments

• the error is "them".  it should be "him". the sentence should be "God does not show favoritism and those who seek him will find him when they seek him with all their heart as Cornelius did".
  • GREAT! You were the first to catch my mistake!

I missed it in proof reading and did not catch it until a couple of weeks later as I read it out loud for recording. I chose to keep the error as food for thought.

Thanks for taking the time to read the forum, for commenting, and for studying and teaching the Bible!

• God promised through Jeremiah, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13).  In seeking "Him," after the coming of Jesus Christ, we find "Them," as I wrote in the commentary, "In seeking God, he [Cornelius] received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior as well as the Holy Spirit, who came to indwell him and each member of his household that believed." When we find God, we find the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. So, my typographical error made me think.

May God bless your study and teaching this week!
  • You make an excellent thought-provoking point with the Him,Them error. I've been teaching this class off and on for the past 14 years but I just found this particular website only recently. I love what you do here and I want to thank and encourage you to continue.
  • Thank you very much for your encouragement! Thank you too for teaching the Bible in your church for the past 14 years, and I pray you teach many more years! The International Bible Lessons Commentary website and this Forum has grown over the last few years in the number and different types of resources, and I am hopeful it will continue to be helpful in a variety of ways. Please feel free to give me any suggestions or send me any corrections. I know I miss some typos along the way, and I hope none are too serious. Thanks again for sharing on the Forum! I hope you will do so again. Many new teachers, and older ones too, would benefit from the experiences and ideas you have learned from as you have taught.