Faithfulness Leads to Seeing God — Revelation 4

In one of His parables, Jesus indicated what He as our heavenly Master might say to us someday: “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master” (Matthew 25:21).

Out of all the writers of the New Testament, the Apostle John stands out as one of the most faithful (having been called to write a gospel, three letters, and the Book of Revelation for the Scriptures). In the beginning, John was faithful in “a very little;” then, the Lord Jesus trusted him to be faithful in much and blessed him with a heavenly vision and a special message about God’s plans.

By the grace of God, John had proved himself so faithful to Jesus that in his old age he was exiled to the island of Patmos. While there, he saw Jesus Christ, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, as a Lamb that had been slain and yet was alive.

But note: in the first three chapters of the Book of Revelation, Jesus gave John seven letters that He wanted sent to seven churches. John faithfully sent those letters to those seven churches (for their benefit, and for our benefit centuries later). Then, John was taken into heaven in the Spirit, where he saw the throne of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit (that he described as he saw them in symbols), as well as further symbolic visions. Because of John’s faithfulness in obeying Jesus, beginning with “a very little,” He saw the throne of God and Jesus in heaven.

Faithfulness to Jesus and the Scriptures as we understand Jesus and the Scriptures from our prayerful studies leads to a better understanding of Jesus and the Scriptures and to a greater faithfulness; then, we grow in faith, love, and knowledge of God. Because we love Jesus, we keep His commandments and show Jesus and others our faithfulness to God. Jesus promised: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you” (John 14:15-17).

As we pray, study the Bible, and teach the Bible by words and actions with faithfulness (and if we are not Bible teachers by sharing the Bible’s teachings with others and by our actions), we will grow closer to God and grow in understanding. Jesus has promised us: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God” (Matthew 5:8); and someday, we shall see Jesus face to face and the throne of God as John did. The Apostle Paul wrote: “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known” (1 Corinthians 13:12). By his life, John demonstrated the teachings of Jesus: by the grace of God, faithfulness leads to seeing God.

Receive the periodic International Bible Lesson Forum Newsletter by becoming a Registered Member of this IBL Forum. Then, login and make comments to share with others.

May God continue to bless your Bible study and teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

CLICK HERE To Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

Teaching the Truth in Love for the Love of God's Word and His people,
L.G.