Bible Study and Teaching “Through the Narrow Door” — Luke 13

One of the many benefits of using the Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series or the International Bible Lessons is we must study and/or teach difficult Bible passages as well as easy Bible passages. We cannot avoid the tough and challenging passages that might convict us and others in our class of the need to change. We cannot just teach our hobbies or favorite books of the Bible with endless repetition and ignore what might bother us or others. We study parts of almost the entire Bible! For example, I always find the Old Testament passages to be the most challenging to prepare, but they are always worth the extra effort the study takes. If it were not for the International Bible Lessons I might not study much of the Old Testament in depth. Still, we must admit that many of Jesus' teachings challenge us and will challenge those we teach, whether they are followers of Jesus or not.

In Luke 13:24, Jesus declared, “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to,” and to me this is one of the tough and challenging passages of Scripture; so, some people inside and outside the church deny its truthfulness. However, let’s remember that Jesus is the narrow door. Among other reasons, God the Father sent Jesus, His only Son, to live, die, and rise again to save us from slavery to sin, from the fear of death, from the devil’s power, to cleanse us from all unrighteousness, and to grant us eternal life. In Mark 14:36, before His crucifixion, Jesus prayed, “Abba, Father, everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” If God the Father and Jesus could have achieved all these benefits for us sinful humans in any easier or other way than Jesus’ suffering and dying, I am sure they would have done so.

So, in summary, I have found it best to accept what the Bible teaches as true, and I have never found the Bible to be wrong. Then, with prayer, I ask the Holy Spirit to help me understand what the Bible teaches and lead me to books and people that can help me understand the meaning of the especially tough passages among others. Since Jesus is the narrow door, when we pray to Him, He will help us explain and teach what He means in the Bible. And we can also pray that He will help all who hear us teach enter the Kingdom of God through the narrow door.

Receive the periodic International Bible Lesson Forum Newsletter by becoming a Registered Member of this IBL Forum. Then, login and make comments to share with others.

May God continue to bless your Bible study and teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

CLICK HERE To Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

Teaching the Truth in Love for the Love of God’s Word and His people,
L.G.