Overcoming A Spirit of Confusion — Genesis 1:24-25

From Isaiah 19:14, we learn that God can send a spirit of confusion among or upon disobedient people. Through Isaiah, God gave this prophecy: “The LORD has mingled within her a spirit of confusion, and they will make Egypt stagger in all its deeds, as a drunken man staggers in his vomit” (Isaiah 19:14-ESV).

Today, it seems God has sent a spirit of confusion upon all the nations of the world, and we see the results in a variety of ways. Today, we see: “Constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth” (1 Timothy 6:5). Paul further explained the reason we see this depravity: “They did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done” (Romans 1:28). Writing of Lot, Peter described the thoughts and feelings of many Christians today: Lot was a “righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless” (2 Peter 2:7).

As we study Genesis, let’s look closely at some of the ways God created the world in the beginning in so many reasonable ways, and how many, who claim to be wise, now cause “constant friction,” “do what ought not to be done,” and manifest “the depraved conduct of the lawless.”

Without going into all the possible details of the situation where you live (Bible students from more than seventy-five countries read the International Bible Lesson Commentary and Forum) look at how God created the world the opposite of what godless people have made it. God is reasonable, the depraved are not. God does what is good, the depraved do not. God made creatures and people to reproduce after their kinds, and this has changed. God provided the plants, the living creatures, and people with all they needed to live according to God’s wise plans. It seems a spirit of confusion has turned God’s creation upside down in a multitude of ways, and as I wrote in the commentary on Genesis 1:14-25, by disregarding God’s ways many people have become enslaved because it is profitable for others to enslave them in ways that seemed harmless at one time. Why is all this happening? Because too many people do not and “did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God,” and they have become unreasonable and have lost the knowledge of what is good. The Bible includes the words and works of evil people, but it reveals the perfect mind of God among all these evil doings, and our minds are transformed as we learn more from the perfect mind of God.

The solution for the world and its confusion is to hear and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ, who came to reveal and illustrate the truth by His words and behavior. Jesus told Pilate, “The reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” (John 18:37). As Christians, let us strive to live on the side of truth, and let us offer the world the solution by pointing them to Jesus Christ and the Bible for them to consider and believe because Jesus has revealed the truth.

As Christians, Paul has given us the personal solution to these problems: “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will” (Romans 12:2). Through our prayerful study of the Bible each week, as Christians we are renewing our minds and we are being transformed. When the world would try to pull us away from God into depraved behaviors, we will be able to recognize God’s will from our Bible studies and we will pray for God’s help to do what is good. We will approve God’s good, pleasing, and perfect will rather than refuse to retain our knowledge of God. The Bible gives us the solution to living in a confused world without becoming confused ourselves, and if we do become confused we can pray to Christ, read our Bible, and receive the help of the Holy Spirit to overcome our confusion and know and do God’s will.

Receive our periodic International Bible Lesson Forum Newsletter by becoming a Registered Member of this IBL Forum. Then, login and make comments to share with others.

May God continue to bless your Bible study and teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

CLICK HERE To Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

Teaching the Truth in Love for the Love of God’s Word and His people,
L.G.

Comments

• How can I print the nine page online lesson for September 9th ?
  • Hello William,
    What I do is go to http://www.ouosu.com/IBLC/.
    Then I choose the Bible version I want for the commentary.
    Then I click on the selection; such as, Genesis 1: 14-25 NIV Easy-Print Commentary
    When the pdf file comes up in the browser, I click on it with the right mouse button, and from the menu I choose print. Then from the menu, I click on the box that says "Fit to page." You can also choose single sided or double sided print and the printer you want to use if you have more than one. There are many different resources available in the Easy Print pdf format for you to choose from, and the commentaries are different in length depending on how many verses in the Bible Lesson.
    I hope this helps!
    May God bless your teaching!
    L.G.