Why Prayer and Bible Study Work — Hebrews 8

Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit minister personally to us and within us when we pray to God before we begin our Bible study, during our Bible study, after our Bible study, while we are teaching the Bible, while Bible students are praying for their teachers and themselves as the Bible is being taught, and while we are praying and trying to practice what we have learned from the Bible. Bible study works when we respond to the leading of the Holy Spirit and pray for the Lord Jesus to help us as we study, share, and practice the Bible’s teachings. For these reasons and others, Jesus’ ministry is much more excellent than any others under the old covenant (see Hebrews 8:6).

Prayer and Bible study work because Jesus and the Holy Spirit are putting God’s laws and Jesus’ commands into our minds as we read the Bible, the Word of God written. Jesus transforms our lives by putting knowledge of the right ways to live and please God into our minds as we study the Bible. He makes us new through His application of His word in us. Thankfully, Jesus does even more for us! Jesus gives us love for God and others—divine love that enables us to do right as He writes what we are learning on our hearts. As Christians, because Jesus has written His commandments on our hearts, we love to do what will honor Him, bring Him happiness, and help others come to know Him as we do—as Lord and Savior. Under the old covenant, God wrote His laws on stone, not in human hearts (see Hebrews 8:10).

Prayer and Bible study work because God in Jesus Christ is our God. Because Jesus is our God, the Son of God, Jesus indwells us and gives us the motivation and power we need to do His will and bless others. Every follower of Jesus Christ finds this to be true in their lives. Under the old covenant, only a few prophets seemed to manifest this divine power, and only John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit before he was born. Because God in Jesus Christ is our God, those who pray and study the Bible can do great things for God and others. In John 14: 12, Jesus promised Christians, “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father” (see Hebrews 8:10).

Prayer and Bible study work because we are Jesus’ people. Because we are Jesus’ people, whether we are the least or the greatest, we “Know the Lord.” Because we “Know the Lord,” we pray and study the Bible to know where Jesus wants us to go and what Jesus wants us to do each day (see Hebrews 8:11). We have confidence in God the Father and Jesus Christ because we know they will keep all their precious promises to us and all their people. And because we are Jesus’ people, we know Jesus is with us whenever and wherever He leads us as we strive to share with others the Good News of Jesus and what He does for all who trust in Him as their Lord and Savior.

If you are a Bible teacher, remember you are not alone! You are a team teacher with Jesus and the Holy Spirit. They are teaching within your students as your students are listening to you teach the Bible. If you are a Bible student, remember Jesus and the Holy Spirit and Bible teachers work together to help you learn and practice the ways of Jesus.

Receive our periodic International Bible Lesson Forum Newsletter by becoming a Registered Member of this IBL Forum. Then, login and make comments to share with others. I add new members manually by hand (nothing automatic here). I try to add new members as quickly as I can, but due to other obligations it can sometimes take 2 or 3 days (sorry for any delays!).

May God continue to bless your Bible study and teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

CLICK HERE To Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

Teaching the Truth in Love for the Love of God’s Word and His people,
L.G.