Our Friendship with Jesus — 1 Samuel 18 & 19

The Lord sent Jonathan to David and David to Jonathan so He could bond their souls together in the type of love that Jesus has commanded us to have for one another. They made a covenant of love that they would protect one another and their families. They were true friends.

In the Old Testament, perhaps Jonathan and David serve as the best examples of what Jesus demonstrated when He loves us as His disciples and tells us to love one another. In John 13:34-35, Jesus told His disciples (and tells us as His disciples), “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Jonathan had the sacrificial type of love for David that the Holy Spirit gave him. Jonathan knew that he could not follow his father as king of Israel because his father, King Saul, had rebelled against the Lord and God had said Saul’s dynasty would come to an end. As two men who loved and trusted in the Lord, Jonathan resolved to protect and help David become the king of Israel; and in a covenant of love, Jonathan asked David to protect his family as he would protect him. Eventually, Jonathan died in battle, and David became king of Israel, and David did all he wisely could to protect Jonathan’s family.

Jesus loves us with the type of sacrificial love that the Holy Spirit influenced Jonathan and David to have for one another. Jesus came into our world to die sacrificially, not to defeat the Romans and become just another king of Israel. Jesus came knowing that by His sacrificial death on the cross, those who believe in Him would be forgiven for their sins and receive the gift of eternal life. Jonathan laid down his claim to be king of Israel for David. Jesus laid down his own life for us.

Jesus calls those who know Him and believe in Him, His friends. In John 15:13-17, Jesus said to His disciples (and to those of us who love Jesus too), “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.”

David was a great king in Israel, a man after God’s own heart. Because Jesus loves us and we love Jesus, we will go and bear fruit that will last and we will love one another—even sacrificially. In a covenant of love, our souls are bonded with Jesus and other Christians, and we will sacrifice for these our friends in Jesus because we love one another. What a Friend we have in Jesus! What friends we can be as Christians!

Receive our periodic International Bible Lesson Forum Newsletter by becoming a Registered Member of this IBL Forum. Then, login and make comments to share with others. I add new members manually by hand (nothing automatic here). I try to add new members as quickly as I can, but due to other obligations it can sometimes take 2 or 3 days (sorry for any delays!).

May God continue to bless your Bible study and teaching and encourage you by His Word and Spirit!

CLICK HERE To Go to the International Bible Lesson Commentary and International Bible Lesson for additional Uniform Sunday School Lesson Series Resources.

Teaching the Truth in Love for the Love of God’s Word and His people,
L.G.