I DON’T want to teach that!

edited December 2015 in General Discussion
I do not know about you, but sometimes when I look ahead to some of the future lessons, I think, “Oh, I DON’T want to teach that!” That exclamation usually comes from seeing the lesson is from Leviticus, Numbers, or Deuteronomy. If I was not studying and teaching from the International Bible Lessons, I doubt that I would ever study or teach from these three books. That is one reason the International Bible Lesson Series [Uniform Lesson Series] remains vitally important for churches and Bible study groups everywhere. As teachers, we, along with our students, would miss out on quite a bit of Bible study if we only taught what immediately interested us and avoided what we think sounds boring or irrelevant.

If we are following the International Bible Lessons Series [Uniform Lesson Series], we have no option but to study and teach the assigned lesson, and that is a good thing. I have found that the way to overcome the “I DON’T want to teach that!” feeling is to jump right in and study the lesson as thoroughly or more so than the lessons I look forward to getting into. In the process of that study, along with MUCH prayer for the Holy Spirit’s guidance and help, I have found that the Bible Lesson I wanted to avoid has come alive for me as I have learned new truths or gained new insights. I begin to look forward to teaching people who may have felt (and may still feel on Sunday morning) as I did with an, “I DON’T want to study that!” feeling.

Most recently, that was the case with the December 20th Bible Lesson on Exodus! Even after I read it, I asked myself, “How in the world can I teach from that right before Christmas?” After I prayed and jumped into studying, the Bible Lesson came alive, and I enjoyed every minute of studying and preparing the commentary and writing the Bible Lesson for “The Oklahoman” newspaper and posting the commentary and lesson on the “International Bible Lessons Commentary” website.

I am sharing my experience with you in case you ever have the thought, “I DON’T want to teach that,” to show you what I do when I have that feeling and to ask you what you do when that feeling arises. I don’t think I am the only person who feels that way sometimes.

Have a Merry Christmas and a New Year drawing closer to Jesus Christ through the prayerful study of God’s Word!
L.G. Parkhurst, Jr.