Bible Study, Sunday School, and Saving the Prodigal Son: Luke 15

From your study of the Prodigal Son, you will see that a time came when he "came to his senses" (Luke 15:17). He came to his senses because he had senses to come to and his senses moved him to return to his father (who represented God the Father). The Parable of the Prodigal Son illustrates how important Bible Teachers and Sunday School Teachers are, and also how important it is for children to learn the Bible and as much as possible about God from a very early ago. The Parable of the Prodigal Son also illustrates how important it is for parents to teach their children the Bible at home and also by regular church attendance. I think many teachers today could identify with my experience. During my college years I was "educated" away from my biblical faith and my commonsense; however, because I was truly educated on the Bible growing up, I had senses to come back to--senses that other Bible teachers later could use to help me return to my biblical faith and commonsense.

Perhaps you could discuss with your class the importance to them of Bible study and Sunday School as they were growing up and the difference that has made in their lives. Some can probably report that their Bible study growing up kept them from "losing their senses," while others might say that they were thankful that they had been given "senses" that helped them come back to faith in God, Jesus, and the Bible.

Perhaps you would like to share something of your story here on the IBL Forum or how you plan to teach this lesson.

For the Love of God's Word,
L.G. Parkhurst, Jr.