Are You Dead and Alive?

Many years ago a friend of mine was driving in his car with his wife. Part of their conversation went like this.

Wife: “You know what they are saying about you, don’t you?”

Husband: “Yes, I know.”

Wife: “Does it bother you?”

Husband: “No.”

Wife: “Why not?”

Husband: “I’m dead.”

Then he referred her to our Bible Lesson text for July 31 — “Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life” (Romans 6:3-4).

He was “dead,” but “raised from the dead through the glory of the Father.” He considered himself dead to unjust mistreatment and was living a new life.
I think when we are criticized for following Jesus Christ and doing what is right that we might consider ourselves “dead,” and remember that we are living a new life in Christ. Perhaps even more difficult is obeying these words of Paul: “Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse” (Romans 12:14). Jesus commanded: “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you” (Luke 6:27-28). We can always pray that those who persecute or mistreat us will change their attitude and behavior so God can bless them. Many such people need the new life that only faith in Jesus Christ can give.

What lessons do you plan to emphasize from this week’s lesson on Romans 6:1-4, 12-14, 17-23 that others might like to focus on or use for an illustration too?

For the love of God’s Word,
L.G.

Comments

• To awaken the hearts and minds of us who dead in heart, mind and spirit.