Words of Comfort and Warning in an Election Season from Isaiah 40

I very seldom post anything on social media, but I have read a lot of other people's “postings,” “sharings,” and “likes.” In this political season, some people are using profanity and making ridiculous untrue assertions that indicate a very hostile divide between those of different political parties. From what I have read, some of these political arguments have separated families (leading to abuse and divorce) and longtime friends. Some have physically attacked strangers for carrying a poster or wearing a tee shirt they have disagreed with. 

I can remember a time when we naturally expected all politicians to act like Christians, go to church, and exemplify Christian ethics as they made decisions that had an effect on the country and world. I can remember a time when many politicians wanted to be seen on TV carrying a Bible as they left worship on Sunday mornings.

Perhaps these words of comfort from Isaiah can be used in this election season. Maybe some verses from the Bible can help put political leadership in a different perspective: “It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. He it is who reduces rulers to nothing, Who makes the judges of the earth meaningless. Scarcely have they been planted, Scarcely have they been sown, Scarcely has their stock taken root in the earth, But He merely blows on them, and they wither, And the storm carries them away like stubble” (Isaiah 40:22-24). 

Before we ourselves get carried away into sinful behavior and talk in this Election Season, remember these words from the Apostle Paul: “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things” (Philippians 4:5-8).

With so much being said and done, how might you be conducting your Sunday school class this Election Season? Do you have any suggestions to share? Do you have any other Scripture verses to share? Do you have any "problems" with people bringing politics into your class "in an unhelpful" way?

For the Love of God’s Word,
L.G.