Teachers of the Bride

If you have ever attended or helped prepare for a wedding, you know how much effort it takes as well as time and money. You also know how beautiful the bride looks as she walks down the aisle to meet the man she will marry. Likewise, Bible and Sunday school teachers are preparing each person in their class to be a beautiful bride for their wedding, but these are mental and spiritual preparations so those they teach will be rightly dressed to meet their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. In the Book of Revelation, we read "I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband" (Revelation 21:2). The Church is "as a bride adorned for her husband," and that includes every believer in Jesus Christ. Bible and Sunday school teachers spend a great deal of time in prayer, Bible study, and other activities to prepare for their teaching and to prepare their students to meet Jesus Christ. We know how important a wedding can be, just think about how important the work is to prepare people for the marriage supper of the Lamb: "Then the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!' And he added, 'These are the true words of God'" (Revelation 19:9).

I thank God today for all those who have taught me the Bible, many of whom have gone to heaven and are prepared to come down with God out of heaven. As teachers of the Bride, untold numbers of people that you have taught are thankful and will be eternally thankful that your teaching helped prepare them to be "as a bride adorned for her husband."

May God bless your Bible study and teaching this week!
L.G. Parkhurst, Jr.